Sunday, November 13, 2011

Reasons Why Watching Xanadu is Better than Watching the Republican Debates


In 2004 and 2008, I was a Presidential debate junky. I watched the debates on television, through live streaming video, and listened through podcasts.  That may be close to eighty hours of my life given to Presidential debates.

In 2006, I had discovered Xanadu for the first time.  I watched Xanadu on DVD, laserdisc, and at three different movie theaters.  That may be close to eighty hours of my life given to Xanadu, which does not include my repeated playing of the soundtrack.

Now that it’s 2011 with a Presidential election just a year away and the cast of Republican hopefuls have less chemistry than Olivia Newton-John and Michael Beck, I can’t bring myself to watch the debates.  I would definitely be down to watch Xanadu.

Let’s break it down.


 vs.
Epic battle!


The plot of Xanadu: Failed artist builds a roller-disco after falling in love with a Greek Muse (Olivia Newton-John). Also starring Gene Kelley.
The plot of the Republican Debates: Failed politicians build an image of a thriving America where the rich are taxed less and public programs are shut down. Also starring Ron Paul

Verdict: The idea of an America thriving without the help of Planned Parenthood, special education funding, and Ira Glass is more ludicrous than the idea of a roller-disco.

The star of Xanadu: Who to choose? Music crossover sensation (at the time) Olivia Newton-John? Beloved entertainer Gene Kelley? Solid Gold Dance Icon Darcelle Wynn?
The star of the Republican Debates: Who to choose?  Pizza cross over sensation, Herman Cain, he who hopes that by saying that sexual harassment also happens to men it will happen to him?  Beloved entertainer Rick Perry?  Solid Gold Dance Icon Darcelle Wynn?

Verdict:  It is – and will always be – Solid Gold Dance Icon Darcelle Wynn.

The point in Xanadu where I lose myself:


Click here



The point in the Republican debates where I would have lost myself:





Verdict: Which one had Solid Gold Dance Icon Darcelle Wynn?

When Gene Kelley went to work on Xanadu, he was a professional. As a highly regarded actor and director, Gene Kelley knew Xanadu was not destined for greatness but brought his talents to the fullest while on set and script that had him dance around in a life sized pinball machine. In the end, even with his public disdain for the production values, Xanadu has not tarnished his legacy. 



Verdict: Any cast that has Gene Kelley in it is way more worth my time than any cast that has a guy that earned the nick named “Ass Juice’.

No comments:

Post a Comment